Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Taking to the Sea


Hello!
One of the only consistencies so far on this trip has been the constant challenge of new thoughts, or old thoughts with new frameworks, combined with crazy schedules.  Last week was no exception, and this past week was full of fun by the Atlantic!  Last Wednesday we drove to the west coast to a town called Swakopmund.  This small town is supported mainly through the mining industry (minerals such as uranium and salt) and tourism.  We got to meet the mayor, as well as other speakers in other organizations.

On Friday we climbed “Dune 7” in the desert.  That was awesome.  It took a while to get up the dune, but once on the top of the dune we could see more and more dunes on one side and flat desert on the other side.  I can’t imagine getting lost in a desert, or riding camels over dunes J 

On Saturday, four of us decided to go sea kayaking for the morning.  This was the first time kayaking for me.  At first I was nervous about not being able to paddle, stay in my kayak….but it was great!  It took me a bit to get the hang of things, but once I got it I paddled around to different seal groups and got to watch lots of seals.  I almost touched one, I was so close!  The guide was great, and there was a French couple on the kayaking trip as well.  This was a great way to spend the morning.  On the way to the sea we also passed by salt fields.  They pump sea water into large areas and then wait 9-14 months for evaporation to go to work.  The water turns bright pink in the process due to the microorganism called rododaubson (spelling?) that lives in salt water.  This was pretty great to see!

The next 3 weeks we will be in the North and on fall break, so this will be the last blog for a while.  I hope you are all doing well.  I will hopefully have some great stories to share when I get back!

-Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment