Thursday, September 2, 2010

Settling in


Hello dear ones! 
I hope this blog is finding you well.  I am sitting outside the house right now, which is 4:15 pm.  We are all waiting to meet our homestay families, who are picking us up in 45 minutes.  This week has been full of adjusting to life in Windhoek.  The house situation has actually been going very smoothly.  Finding alone time is a challenge, but other than that, the only mishap has been that I washed my washcloth and hung it on the line outside to dry and now I can’t find it J  That’s a mishap I can handle!

In other news, on Sunday a group of us went to church at a Methodist church, which is a 30 minute walk from our house.  The choir was practicing outside as we walked up.  We sat down inside and I noticed that it was quite a racially diverse church.  This was encouraging to me for all churches everywhere.  And then the choir came in, singing a beautiful song and swaying as the processed down the aisle.  I think when all peoples sing at the throne of God with the angels it is going to sound like this choir!  They were passionate, and their voices were beautiful.  The Women’s Fellowship led worship that Sunday.  This meant, among other things, that 5 women shared different parts of the sermon that all came together to make one large (and long!) sermon.  They were great.  All visitors had to introduce themselves during the service.  After the service a man came up to my friend Jessica and asked her if we were the new students from the States.  She said yes, and he proceeded to ask her if she was interning at a place called Scripture Union for the semester.  Yes, she answered, in fact I am.  He was one of her bosses!  He told her that she was going to be doing painting the next day.  Before I knew it, I asked this man if I could come along.  Oops!  He said sure, and the next day turned into a fun day of getting to know Scripture Union, painting, and hanging out with Jessica.  She’ll have a good time at that internship.

We had a retreat on Tuesday with all the students and most of the staff of CGE.  I really enjoyed getting to know everyone more, especially the professors and house staff.  We played games as well as shared our personal “life-maps” with each other.  This took up most of the day.  I could listen to people’s life-maps for hours!  That night we had a pizza party-a good end to a good day.

On Wednesday night a few of us went to Windhoek’s Theatre school for an event called “Spoken Word.”    This was a lot of fun.  The room was full of students/ young adults who loved poetry and art and rap and music.  The night was full of listening to poetry and songs, just enjoying young, aspiring artists share their works with us.  This was a fun way to spend the night before classes started, which brings me to today.  Today we had our first day of class from 9-1.  Bummer.  I had forgotten about the class part of this adventure….No, I’m excited about class and today went well.  I’ll have lots of things to share with you all soon J

Thank you for the comments on the blogs-I’ve been enjoying reading your thoughts as well!  I pray God fills your day with peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment