Thursday, September 16, 2010

Nothing is as it seems.


Hello dear friends and family,
The longer I am here, the more settled I feel.  After moving around from place to place, event to event, it has been wonderful staying in one spot in order to get my feet on the ground.  This week has been filled with lots of homework, including lots of reading and a few papers.  I thought when I left Valpo I’d have a break from reading so much for school, but alas-we must take classes that involve readings here too! 

Before the school week begins, however, I get to spend my Monday mornings hanging out with 4 and 5 year olds at a pre-school in an informal settlement.  The pre-school is called Bright Hill, and it is a Christian school set up to prepare children of this informal settlement for school, which they start when they are 7.  There are about 80 students who come to school everyday.  I help in a classroom with a teacher named Francie.  I helped three of the students try and learn their colors.  I’m not sure if they learned much, but maybe it was a stepping stone for them.  I also taught the class the Hokey Pokey.  There is nothing like giggling with a bunch of 4 year olds as you sing and dance and say “That’s what it’s all about!”  I’m looking forward to next week’s school day J

Yesterday for religion class we met a woman who is a traditional healer.  I was expecting this woman to have special remedies that she used to heal those who came to her.  As we walked into her house and started talking with her, however, it became clear that she is a Christian who is a healer who firmly believes that all power comes from the Holy Spirit.  She prays and does use medicines and wraps in these healings, but with the firm belief that it is not her but the Holy Spirit who does the healing.  I was surprised at this Christian woman with the title of “traditional healer.”  Nothing is as it seems. 

Today we went to a monument named Heroe’s Acre in honor of the people who fought for the liberation struggle in Namibia.  We all thought the monument was very well done, and appreciated this part of history being remembered.  Then we met a woman who shared her story of being persecuted by the current party of Namibia.  This party, SWAPO, led the liberation struggle of the 1960s-1989 and is the group represented in the monument.  Her story was one of deception and corruption by the party she had trusted and fought for liberation with.  She candidly revealed to us that she can not go to the Heroe’s Acre monument because it is too painful for her.  She felt the monument did not tell the whole story behind the liberation struggle.  Again, nothing is as it seems.

Tonight is a pretty relaxing night, writing to you and hanging out in the living room.  I pray that your night, or day, or whenever this blog finds you, is wonderful and full of rest as well.  To keep you updated on the weather: there were more clouds today, but the rain won’t come for a couple more months.  Hot and dry is the constant J  God’s blessing to each of you.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Ms. Sarah for sharing your observations and stories. I am enjoying learning. Keep at it! Peace to you across the miles!

    Abundant love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete